Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Fattigmann

A few weeks ago we had our last Norwegian Language class (eight weeks, non-credit). It was a small class and most of the students were there to learn enough of the language for their trip to Norge. Some year soon I hope to venture to Norge, the land of our Rasmussen, Wesnes, Sunde, Gjerding, -sen, -datter relatives, also. And I will know how to say hello (hei hei), how are you? (hvordan er du det?), please (vaer så snil), thank you (takk), you're welcome(vel bekomme) and, the all-important, I don't understand(jeg forstår ikke).

For the last class our assignment was to bring traditional Norwegian foods. I had several recipes from Grandma-the-Great in my collection one of which was a cookie called "Fattigmand".  I had never tried it because it involved deep frying and I figured it was heavy on the calories.  Here was my excuse to try them and have someone else eat them. So I followed the recipe (G-the-G was very explicit in her instructions), but had no clue as to what "make a slit in the center of each (diamond shape) and pull one corner through" was meant to look like. I pulled the top point through the slit.  All in all it went well. 

Had I looked on the internet under "fattigmann" (spelled a little differently from my recipe, but the "d" is silent so it sounds the same...fattigmann[d] means "poorman"), I would have seen what the cookies, traditionally made at Christmas, should have looked like.  You can even buy a fattigmann cutter that makes the diamond shapes.  Who knew?  They look sort of like a bow tie, but mine looked like hearts. I think I like hearts better anyway.


Fattigmand Cookie Recipe

Gabriel Rasmussen's Dumpling Recipe


















No comments:

Post a Comment